Re: Burned Records found

From: Thomas M Mc Hugh (tmmchugh@juno.com)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 10:32:47 PST

This notice might help many Veterans or their families gain benefits to
which they were entitled. This is not actually a military vehicle
notice, but, this list has more contacts to the persons that need this
information.

I hope each of you can pass the info on quickly. Our WW II Veterans
might need medical care now.

Thank you all.

I wish to pass on the information that I just received through the
 SONS OF THE AMERICAN LEGION NEWSLETTER.

 I Quote:

 "LOST MILITARY RECORDS RECOVERED"

 The VA has reported discovering 10 million duplicates of 20 Century
 Military Records. These records were thought to have been
 destroyed in a 1973 fire which wiped out most Army records from 1912
 to 1960 and most Air Force records from 1947 to 1964. If you need
 records that you were told were burned, you may contact

 Veterans Personnel Records
 GSA
 St. Louis, MO 63132

 I'm sure all of us have met someone at one time or another whose
 records couldn't be found due to the fire in St. Louis. Please
 pass this along to any and all you know who might need the
 information.

 I hope this will assist a veteran or their families.

Thomas M McHugh, NJ
U S Army Retired
52 M38A1
MVPA, MTA