RE: [MV] Do you play with it?

From: Enterprise B&B/Cayman Islands, BWI (Enterprise@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 15:36:45 PST

Thanks for your great reply and to the others who have put in their 2mm worth.

I will probably have my M37 finished in the next few months, or as finished
as I'm going to do it. And while in my fantasy world I would like to have
a half-track, or even a nice scout car, that probably won't happen. Some
day I may get to drive one (on rental) or shoot a real 30 or 50. I have
looked at some pictures of Ferrits and think one would be a lot of fun to
drive. I have seen one for sale which is alleged to be licensed in
California so if that's true, I would lile to get one as my next and
probably last MV. I also had this fantasy about making a "Gun Truck" out of
an M35 as shown in the November/December 2000 issue of "Military Vehicles".

Take care.

David

At 07:42 PM 12/3/00 -0800, you wrote:
>I purchased my 1960 Ferret Mk 2/3 just about this time last year. It arrived
>on the 29th of December, 1999. Since that time I have put almost 1,700 miles
>on it. All this from a little armored car that doesn't get particularly good
>mileage, is hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and a little hard to see
>out of in traffic. Never the less I have been to innumerable car shows,
>participated (with other members in our MIL-VEH club) in parades, and done
>some benefit/charity things. The Ferret lives in a garage, not heated, but
>warm enough to keep it ready to roll if some event comes along. I have had
>it flat-bedded only once to an event, and that was 52 miles away - the
>Veterans Day Parade. Fortunately my son works as a towing company driver,
>and I managed to get him to haul it for me. All the other times the Ferret
>has been under it's own power, trying to keep out of the way of 65-75 mph
>traffic on the freeways, and befuddling the locals on the side streets.
>
>Every time I take it out, I can count on having a crowd around it when I get
>back from (parts store, barber, etc.). I enjoy explaining the purpose of
>driving such a vehicle in [public, and find that there are lots of other
>folks with small, medium and large "green things" either in service or under
>a big blue tarp in their back yard. I try to make it clear that those of us
>that own and drive such vehicles do it purely for the fun of it - we are
>rarely (if ever) compensated for our time, gas, or wear and tear. We take
>that as part of the fun of letting others see and in my case, climb around,
>on, and/or in a "real tank" (as many mothers say to their children). Seeing
>a child's face light up when they ask "Can I get in it?" and I respond
>"Sure, let me help you" is reward enough for us.
>
>So that's the long answer to the short question - we often use our
>"collectibles" for events as mundane as a trip to the barber, or as a
>"gussied up" participant in a military related event like Armed Forces Day,
>4th of July, or Veteran's Day. No, it does not sit for 362 days a year. In
>fact I get the Ferret out, on the average, once every week (unless the usual
>Seattle showers are a lot more like a downpour). As the motto of the MVPA
>states, "KEEP 'EM ROLLING"....
>
>Ian Wallace, Seattle
>MVPA #20862
>1960 Ferret Mk 2/3, 1,688 miles and many more to come...

               GET YOUR CUSTOM MADE LICENSE PLATES
                    FROM US FOR ONLY $28.30
                 DELIVERED IN THE U.S. WITHIN ONE
                      WEEK BY PRIORITY MAIL