Re: [MV] Canadian Military Pattern Truck on ebay

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 16:14:13 PST

ken uhrick wrote:

> i hate to say it butt that the boxyst truck i have seen in my life

Ken & Listers,

This appears to be the remains of a 1944 CANADIAN-MANUFACTURED Chevrolet C15A,
built at GM Oshawa during the war. I've emailed the seller for more info.

The original item was a robust 15cwt (approximately 1-ton) 4X4 truck with a
101-inch wheelbase, driven by a GM 216 ci straight-six OHV engine developing 85
bhp @ 3400rpm. Maximum speed was in the neighbourhood of 35-40 MPH, but the
published load for this vehicle was in the area of 2600 lbs. Ford of canada
manufactured almost the identical vehcile at Windsor, Ontario, but theirs was
equipped with our version of the standard 239 ci Ford V8 flahead. This class of
vehicle was a workhorse of Commonwealth armies, generally found in service at
regimental level and below.

If you'd like a look at what this SHOULD and COULD look like, take a quick look
at the one featured on my site at
http://www.mapleleafup.org/vehicles/softskin/15cwt.html. Click on the little
pics for bigger ones.

If the body metal is good, the frame uncut and the drivetrain more or less
original, this could be a good restoration candidate. The box/bed is NOT
original (see my pics).

Be advised Red Lake, Ontario is out in the middle of nowhere, quite a distance
north and west of Thunder Bay. Transportation does come into effect here - you
don't drive this hundreds or thousands of miles home, at 35 mph and -40C wind
chill factor! Check out the location on Mapquest, it's there.

I'll be following this one with interest.

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.mapleleafup.org <sunray@mapleleafup.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment http://www.1cacr.org <info@1cacr.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~