Re: [MV] On this very day in 1941 - Camp X, OSS & jeeps

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 18:13:14 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Greville" <dgrev@ruralnet.net.au>
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 12:41 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] On this very day in 1941

> NIGEL & Richard
>
> > Today is of course the 59th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbour.
>
> I suggest you get yourself a copy of the following 2 books:
>
> "The Paladin" by Brian Garfield ISBN 0 330 26455 9
> "OpJB" by Christopher Creighton ISBN 0 671 85565 4
...> Richard: these make "A man called Intrepid" look boring, as you know,
> that book isn't.
>
> Regards
> Doug

Unfortunately the book "A Man Called Intrepid", although based upon a true
character, appears to be a gross exaggeration of the true role that William
Stephenson (aka Intrepid) and his organization British Security
Co-ordination. The book written by a man of the same name but different
spelling, includes exploits from British Special Operations, Executive and
credits them to Intrepid.

There WAS a secret agent training camp in Canada, near Oshawa. COMPULSORY
MILITARY CONTENT - They did have jeeps and some other MVs there and photos
of the jeeps appear in CAMP X Canada's School for Secret Agents 1945-45 by
David Stafford. Some of these same photos in poorer quality also appear in
INSIDE CAMP X by Lynn-Philip Hodgson. Jeeps are Canadian contract CDLV-505
stamped grill Willys Light Utilities (W-LU 440-M-PERS-1) made between April
and September 1942. Those shown are actually early CDLV 505 production
Apr-July/42. Serial number range roughly MB139XXX through MB1558XX (other
contracts were made in between these serial numbers) Just visible in the
photos are the Department of National Defence (DND) numbers. One photo shows
13 Yugoslav agents (most carrying the now very rare Sten Mk. I) and one Brit
or Cdn driver piled into ONE jeep and other photos show COI or OSS agents
training. Two of the OSS fellows are sunning themselves! Only 6 OSS fellows
in one jeep (2 more standing behind it). These jeeps have the blackout
HEADlight guards (in the grill) both BOTH headlights. They also have the
lifting rings as seen on Canadian contract jeeps from contracts CDLV-241,
242 and 505 and some USMC contract jeeps. Roy Van Wicklin sells replicas of
the blackout headlight guards.

One of these early CDLV-505 jeeps is for sale in the Vancouver, BC, Canada
area.$7,500 Cdn. Mechanic's restoration, runs but still needs a restoration.
I know it's history from c.1980 to present, AND where it served in 1943 (Div
HQ Sigs, 7 Cdn Div, Debert, Nova Scotia with DND number 61-261 SN MB155796
made July 2, 1942, tub # 60260).

I have visited the Camp X site and also talked with several people who
trained there during WWII. There is a fascinating truth however but so much
has been lost by people taking their secrets to the grave. Yes, the early US
secret agents got their initial training there in 1942.

Site is now a liquor warehouse but there is a plaque there.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)