December 7th excursion

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 20:05:23 PST

Hi list,
I went to work today and by the time I left the station, it was an hour
after 7 AM rollcall. Swung by the bank on the way out to my district (which
by the way, is so darned large ?long? that by the time I get to the eastern
end I am closer to the next neighboring city than to the station)...anyway,
I'm sitting in the drive through, looking into the teller's window and saw a
large office calender with little "DEC" and BIG "7". Oooooooh Nooooo! I
always take this day off from work (call me sentimental) but things have
been so hectic that I've been living from moment to moment. So I complete
my transaction and go strrrraight back to the station and tell the sarge I
gotta leave early.....no explaination.. (I figure I'd let him assume it was
something going on at home). He didn't ask why (not that it was any of his
business), so I bailed out of work at 11AM and hopped in the car and headed
out into the sticks to recon a surplus yard I had recently been told about.
Well, after much driving I found the place in the middle of BF Egypt. I
swear I heard banjos playing the song from DELIVERANCE as I rolled into
town. Predictably, they had lots of neat things that no one was buying
because (once again) they are in the middle of NOWHERE and no one seems to
know about them, which is odd because the owner told me they had been there
for thirty years. My kind of place...piles and piles of STUFF. After 4
pleasant hours of rummaging and idle chit-chat with the owner I came home
with some necessary parts for my M105 trailer and a new place to drop a few
bucks when the mood strikes me.
On a slightly different topic.....does anyone know why Christmas lights work
when you put them away after Christmas, but DON'T work when you take them
out of the box the following year?
TJ