Re: [MV] Dodge data

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 05:56:25 PST

You probably won't find it in a later model manual. The name of the game in
later WWII was standardization of vehicles, and from looking at the
evolution of the jeep manuals and the other WC manuals, listing different
contracts and vehicles would have been counter-intuitive to those who were
doing the standardizing. The whole reason for that list in the first manual
was that the different vehicles had slightly different parts requirements.
The listing of contract numbers made it easier for logisticians to go look
at their property books to order parts than to have to survey actual
vehicles in their possession. The list from the War Department manuals is
up at http://www.powerup.com.au/~djr - look at the bottom link buttons and
click on serial numbers. The serial numbers for all 1/2, 3/4 and 1.5 ton
Dodges is listed there, but they don't go beyond 1942. Later in the war,
there was a special manual published for the Dodges which had special
requirements. One showed up on ebay, and John McCleaf purchased it. It
lists all specialty parts and accessories for the Carryall's, Command Cars,
and other Dodges aside from the WC51/52.

If you are looking for serial number information on the 43, 44, or 45
Dodges, I think you will have to keep looking. Good luck.