Re: [MV] MV Question On Car Talk This Morning

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 13:43:55 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <CYCLOPSRAM@aol.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2000 4:23 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] MV Question On Car Talk This Morning

> Certainly was not a good segment.. They never did decide that it was a GM
> 6.2 and were looking for an intank fuel pump and so forth. My
diagnosis
> was that the cold start enrichment device was activated by the water and
> allowed a fresh start...The best part was when they asked what color it
was,
> anticipating OD, and the dumb captain said "tan" The brothers lost a
lot
> of credibility with me on that one!! RAM #217

What colour what was? The humvee or the pump?? <shrug>

One of the movie co.'s 1009's was heading up to Vernon, B.C. as part of a
military exercise (EOD Sgt. borrowed it for the field) and decided that it
would stall halfway up a very great hill and wouldn't restart. A few whisps
would escape the tailpipe, but no amount of starting or ethering (bad idea)
the engine would get it to catch. The Sgt. shrugged in disgust, and had it
towed back some 130 miles back to the farm where these things are kept.

Well, I puzzled over it for awhile and played with fuel pump pressure, power
to the hold-open solenoid in the pump, and the filter block, but could find
nothing that would account for the starting problem. Then it twigged, and I
took the top off of the injector pump to observe the action of the hold-open
(shutoff) solenoid when 12V was applied. It would open for the briefest of
moments, then shutoff. Turned out that the connection to the little relay
armature was badly soldered from the factory, and when the vehicle warmed
up, the connection would open, and either intermittently close and open the
solenoid or simply cause it to close altogether as with the hapless Sgt.
heading to his exercise. Resoldering solved the problem, and it's run
flawlessly ever since.

I'm wondering if the same problem was fleet-wide on 6.2 equipped vehicles
concerning both the holdopen-shutoff and cold advance solenoids. If so,
pouring a bunch of frigid water on the pump body might well temporarily
re-establish the electrical connection to the relay if such were
intermittent, but I imagine any gain would be short-lived, and would simply
ensure you broke down even further away from any possible rescue by RCEME or
whoever bends wrenches for your particular country.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.