Re: Stuart Tank

From: Chris (cdavis@mail.johnsonmfg.net)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 07:23:13 PST

NIGE is probably right. This veteran just said a Stuart, and I added M3,
confusing the "M" numbers. M5A1 would be more likely.

As for the mine fields, I wanted to ask him that question myself, but once
he had decided to share some of this he got on a bit of a roll and I didn't
want to interrupt. I tried to prompt when needed, but otherwise just see
where he went with his narrative.

He came out of a Repo Depot and was assigned the driver's position. I
asked him how much training he got and he said from about 7am to 11am the
day he was assigned, then off he went. Pretty amazing.

There was a General Patton impersonator/re-enactor at the memorial service
who gave a terrific rendition of Patton's address to the troops. This
veteran said he needed to go talk to that guy about his order to take the
sand bags off the tanks. Otherwise a great general in his opinion, but
they sure hated to lose those sandbags.

Thanks to all who have respond. Looks like the closest Stewart is in
Nevada. So the reunion will have to wait a bit.

Chris Davis

At 08:48 AM 12/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Are you sure it was an M3? Very few radial engined M3's were in front
>echelon service that late on inthe war. More likely an M5A1, kind regards,
>NIGE

Chris Davis
'42 WC-53 (x2)
'42 GPW Script