cold weather multifuel starts

From: Damon Gentile (damonfg@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 07:22:42 PST

Hi Gang. This past weekend I finally got to put
a couple of miles on the M54 (LDS4651A) and it
was a little tough to start. Usually (warmer
weather) it fires right up on the first crank.
Since it was about 20 degrees F, It took a fair
amount of cranking.

It's got an intake heater, and I have added a commercial
winter conditioner to the fuel.

What's the proper operation of the intake heater?
Hold the switch for a few seconds before cranking?
During cranking ?

Thanks,
-D

Oh BTW, it was nice to see mention of the LSVs. About
60 years ago my Grandfather was building them in the
Quincy shipyard :)