Re: [MV] cold weather multifuel starts

From: John Souza (John.Souza@ci.fresno.ca.us)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 08:45:51 PST

Yeah,

Revving the motor at the intial start is not good at all. It takes about 15 seconds to build up oil pressure due to the oil filters draining.

You also want to make sure that you in-tank pump is working promperly and you have clean fuel filters so that you can get the correct fuel pressure at the injection pump. If you in-tank fuel pump doesn't work it will tank some cranking to get the egine started.

Also, I have obtained a military kit that allows for automatic injection of ether.

John
MVPA #2697

>>> <buzz@toast.net> 12/13/00 8:10:31 AM >>>

I always try cranking the motor with out the heater to see if
it will fire. If it doesn't start right up I pause and then
crank it again while operating the heater switch, in accordance
with the info written on the plate (on for 10 sec, off for 10
sec or something like that) while cranking.

The heater is quite efficient and usuially provides enough heat
to fire off the motor immediatly.

Sometimes, if it's real cold and the motor is idling slowly chugging
along I'll continue to run the heater till it smooths out. Remember
the oil is thick and it will take longer to get it flowing throughout
the motor so revving the motor isn't a good idea.

Be patient. Let it warm up and it will run fine.

Good luck,
-=-