[MV] LST Association

From: Dean L. Kellogg, Jr (kelloggd@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 07:28:26 PST

>I've been following this group for about 3-4 years now. The Greek Navy
GAVE
>them the LST for their museum. Unfortunately, our own State Department
(one
>particular guy) held up the approval to return it. It was considered
>Significant Military Equipment. Fortunately, a letter writing campaign
>fixed the problem. I know I wrote both Senators and my representative.
All
>responded positively and supported the bill allowing the LSTs return,
>despite the best efforts of the bureaucrats to stop it. It is nice to see
>the good guys win.

These fellows were also held up by the BATF who initially required such
extensive "demilling" of the LST that the Association balked....claiming
that the ship would no longer be an LST with all the demilling. Congress
even got into the act by passing a bill allowing them to bring it back. (I
found this 1999 bill back in the HR4201 mess). Fortunately this all got
ironed out and they are off on their "pleasure cruise".

Dean L. Kellogg, Jr., MD, PhD
Department of Medicine
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
(210) 617-5311 FAX (210) 617-5312 e-mail:kelloggd@uthscsa.edu