Re: [WT] Camera for my Willy (jeep) archives

From: Rob Pearson (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 18:29:38 PST

Hello Todd & Listers from both sites:

Digital Pictures of your Mil Vehs?
Sort of off topic ! However, as most of you can't draw for Sh%# ! (like me)

Well, We bought two of them cameras Today!
One, for me as my quickie shot and the other for my college brat!
One sells at $49 - 59 ...and stores 18 pictures before you need to download
them ...to start afresh.
This is basically outdoors as it has no flash.
For me, daytime jeep & Mil-Veh shots are just fine !
The other was on sale at $89 it has a builtin flash and stores 30 pictures,
before you need to download They come with the wire to download and save
into your computer."
 THE SIZE or pictures ?
The cheaper one uses the common size of 320 X 240 pixels
What does this mean you ask ? Postcard size! approx.
About 3.5" X 5.5" (inches)
Each photo you print out on your printer " WITHOUT" any extra doctoring by
any graphics program, is as follows.
320X240 = postcard size pictures ! No resizing required.
This is approximate size!

The more expensive camera uses 640X480 pixels
This makes a picture approx., 2 postcards ...approx., 5.5" X 7.0" (inches)
A general rule of thumb is that if you send these two different sized
picture via separate email, then both pictures will show up on your screen
without (annoyingly) having to pan left and right.

Another rule of thumb is... with a 28 k modem speed,
 it will take about 10 seconds to download the smaller picture as an
attachment.
Todd, Basically that is the answer ...in a nutshell !

More Info!
This depends on your "server's" load at the time of night.
It can also depend on whether ...or not ...the picture has been resampled.
The sytem resouces left within your computer.

What does this mean you ask ? several things.

Have you ever downloaded a Picture (file) that took about a minute or more!
And when done it was only a postcard size. That "might / could" be, because
it was a large picture file say 500k bytes.

When it was "sized" down to a postcard size of say, 320X240 pixels (file
size 19k bytes) ...it was not resampled ...therfore what appears to be a
small (file) picture, had the original huge file still attached !
This is not good for people waiting & waiting & waiting for a small picture
arrive.
The two cameras above generally will not take long at all to "open"

You can go to any of the search engines like Yahoo - Lycos - Alta Vista -
eGroups ...etc., and download a few pics and "easily have people go to
"your" free web site to view you current Military Vehicle / Willys pictures
with a sentence or two added Can be fun and virtually instant!
(file)

I also have an another camera that has HUGE memory ...I use it for my work,
(self employed)
At the 320 X 240 "postcard size" it can take around 1500 (yep !) pictures.

Yet,At super, extremely high quality (TIFF) it will take only 12 pictures...
before changing the memory disk ...at only $10 each...
At fantasically excellent quality, it will take 250 pictures.
So, what ! Well, these pictures would printup on a large printer at approx
22" inches. X 14inches.
I can easily fill a wall with my jeep pictures.

Finally, ALL you computer tech heads ... please don't write explaning every
little hole and nuance about my musings above.
I tried to keep it easily understandable, Ok !
I KNOW that there is a hell of a lot more to it all ...than what I wrote
above?

I really tried to simplify the answer for the basic question Todd Asked.

Yes Todd it just fine for a starter with No resizing required... with both
models decribed above.

Are there better deals out there... maybe ? If you have lotsa cash ? Sure !

Check out the pics., that "industele" posted a couple of days back! I
believe he was posted on the Mil-Veh site list (9th or 10th Dec) ...not
really my place to hand out his email address, "without permission"

Willys Tech and Mil-Veh are both similar in content and information.
They both have a posting site as well as ...email postings
Hey, Regards
Rob P. from Syracuse are Upstate NY
42MB and a handful of CJ2As