USS CABOT---it is too late!

From: Dean L. Kellogg, Jr (kelloggd@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 09:47:22 PST

Listees,

I must inform you that I was in error when I said that efforts were being
made to save the Cabot....it is too late. I inquired about the Cabot from
the USS Lexington Museum in Corpus Christi:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I noted the article about the Cabot in the recent Lex newsletter would
>>know about the effort
>> to save the ship.

I just received the following:

>The Cabot is being scrapped at the current time. There
>are many workers in Brownsville that are taking things apart below decks in
>order to prepare for the cutting up of the structure. We have managed to
>obtain some of the twin 40 mm gun mounts and I know other museums and the
>Naval Historical Center have visited the Cabot to see what other artifacts
>may be of interest. I agree that it is a shame that she could not be saved
>but some of her artifacts will be.
>
> Rocco Montesano

Dean L. Kellogg, Jr., MD, PhD
Department of Medicine
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
(210) 617-5311 FAX (210) 617-5312 e-mail:kelloggd@uthscsa.edu