Re: [MV] Damned dangerous things...

From: mark fisher (fishmeok@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 03:42:21 PST

Here's another good story about MV's and police-
About three years ago I was Moving from Seattle to Kalamazoo, MI in an
attempt to save my marriage. I had purchased my stock M715 (30K, even still
painted O.D. with all the markings) from the Oregon Forest service for
$900.00. I built a topper out of four by eight sheets of plywood and loaded
everything I owned into it, including a Russian motorcycle. My Brother came
out to help me move and we set off across country in early February. 50 MPH
all the way, 30 MPH in the passes (That's the reason the 715 is currently
getting a V-8). We had several noteable adventures on the way, but no major
problems until we wound up in the middle of North Dakota at 3 A.M. pushing
hard for the next town (relativly speaking, I was going a full 53 or 54
MPH). We saw a state trooper up ahead pull off into a rest area and circle
back around behind us. In a few minutes his lights were flashing and we
pulled over. Perhaps I should mention that I bought the truck and never had
plates put on it, since I was leaving the state within a few weeks of buying
it, I just had a little Washington State temporary sticker in the window- I
did have insurance, though. The officer came around to the drivers side of
the truck, staying well away with his hand on his holstered gun. I was
thinking that this trip was at an end, and who did I know in the Dakotas
with bail money? As soon as the officer looked into the truck and saw us
sitting there he visably relaxed, and went through the normal routine of
liscence, registration, etc. He then informed me that they were under an
alert for militia activity and my truck fit the profile to a "T". I never
really thought about it before, but an O.D. army truck at 3 A.M. in the
middle of nowhere with a big home made topper and no plates- I was lucky
they didn't set up a roadblock and call the F.B.I.. He then very kindly
informed me that the rear differential was leaking, and we might want to
take a look at it. While I was tightening up the bolts my brother told the
officer the story of our trip and how I was trying to kill him by a
combination of freezing and bouncing to death in an army truck. We finally
hit the road and the truck and I made it safely to Michigan, but the
marriage thing never did work out.
So if there are any North Dakota State Troopers on the list- You guys Rock!
Cheers
Mark
'67 M715
'52 M38A1