Re: [MV] USS CABOT---Its not over!

From: Joseph Lombardi - Ocean Technical Services (lombardi@star.net)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 09:28:53 PST

Gentlemen,

The aircraft carrier U.S.S. CABOT is presently owned by Maruti
Steel of Brownsville, Texas. They are a ship scrapping outfit just
getting organized, but they do not have approvals in place as yet
to commence actual scrapping of the vessel. There is much
remediation (i.e. removal of PCBs, asbestos, etc.) needed before
the torch can begin cutting. No permit has been applied for or
obtained from Region #6 EPA. The vessel is under a verbal
purchase agreement with ongoing negotiations taking place.

There has been some selling of the 40 MM gun mounts, gun
directors, the motor whaleboat, flagpole, the ready room chairs
and other miscellaneous material to other museums. I purchased the
ship's structural drawings/publications and have since donated them
to the U.S. Navy Historical Foundation where they will be turned
over to the U.S. Navy Historical Center for safe keeping. None of
the removals seriously degrades the integrity of the ship.

There is a serious effort at this late date to purchase the ship
outright from the scrappers. I recommend that any donations be
sent to the Ironwoman Foundation; they have a Web site previously
mentioned in this list. Mr Peter Stoudt is heading up efforts in
that organization.

How do I know of these efforts? I was contracted to perform a
'walk-thru' structural survey in August on behalf of the Ironwoman
Foundation. I recently negotiated the purchase and sale of the
material above prior to the latest effort being launched.

I urge you to contact Mr. Peter Stoudt at the Ironwoman
Foundation through their Web Site for more information. CABOT will
make an outstanding Museum!

Joe Lombardi
Marine Surveyor
Ocean Technical Services