ADMIN: Network outage

From: Arthur Kyle -- Mil-Veh Admin (ack@mil-veh.org)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 22:52:34 PST

Mil-veh list members:

As you likely noticed, the mil-veh list was offline for about 55 hours, from
about 11am PST Monday 18 Dec 2000 to some time late today. I apologize for
this interruption, and will do my best to avoid it happening again. My
ISP--sirius.com--suffered a catastrophic router failure in its local network,
so severe that it cut off all its Bay area customers, both dialup and
dedicated service. This is the longest outage I have suffered in some time (a
few years ago skylee.com was offline for two weeks when the server crashed
just minutes before I left for Japan; believe me, that was a frustrating
fourteen days). This week's event forces me to actively seek an alternative
ISP. I had thought that for my $200 per month I could expect faster attention
to such a serious failure, but apparently not. So, for the last 50 hours I
have been evaluating a move to DSL, though I still have research to do on its
reliability, features, and costs. It will probably cost close to $200 per
month for 192Kbps symmetrical business service, but this will be close to four
times the speed of my ISDN connection and should speed up delivery of mil-veh
e-mail. It will disrupt the list and access to www.mil-veh.org during the
cutover from sirius, but I probably won't make the move until January/ Even
then, I hope it will not be down for more than 24 hours. I will post
information to the list when I know more. In the meantime, please carry on
with your on-topic conversations, and again, I regret the interruption and
hope that a move to DSL will improve things.

--Arthur