Re: [MV] cucv

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 11:02:59 PST

www.wheeldog.net - Universal's 'Balto' website and more
From: <SETOYOTA@aol.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 8:46 PM
Subject: [MV] cucv

> Has anyone ever swapped a Chevy 350 into a cucv?

I did look into doing that for a movie vehicle sans engine, but haven't as
yet had time to plunge ahead.

The motor mounts look identical in both size, shape and placement, and the
bell-housing should bolt right up to the Turbo 400 with no problems. I've
been told that the flex plate and torque-converters are quite different on
the Blazer units with the 350/THM 400 configuration, but you should be able
to nick both items from a suitable junkyard wreck. Not sure if the torque
converter for the THM 350 transmission is the same as that for the 400, as
I've never checked.

Other problems you could run into involve the exhaust setup and possibly the
fuel tank, but again, I didn't get that far myself. I know of people who
have done exactly this conversion to same-year 6.2L DDA equipped crew-cabs
from our logging industry, and don't recall mention of any horrific
problems.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.
 (of course, the originality of your 1009/1008 will be compromised, but the
350's are certainly the more common power-plant from a replacement
  cost standpoint.)