Re: [MV] GOOD NEWS

From: Dean L. Kellogg, Jr (kelloggd@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 06:52:24 PST

>From: John Hutterer <john.hutterer@deltec.com>
>Subject: Re: [MV] GOOD NEWS
>Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:11:56 -0600
>
>Alex,
>
>Good news, indeed. I do have a couple of questions. You mentioned that there
>were some T42 tanks on the list of items. Can I assume that you are
>referring to Russian tanks? If so, does your list contain any US made items
>that would be considered Significant Military Equipment? It has been my
>understanding, although imperfect I am sure, that the main problem with the
>form 6 was in getting the State Department to approve the re-importation of
>any US made SME. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>John

Interesting good news indeed. I have coresponded with the State Department
and was given written notification that they will consider approving
re-importation of US origin SME. (I posted the State Dept's letter text to
the list several months ago.) Then I tried to get in touch with BATF (after
Lee Holland said the ATF was the problem, not the State Dept.). I never
have heard back from ATF...it is now almost 3 months....oops...it is over 3
months. My understanding is that State is not where the problem is (was?)
rather the ATF is (was?) the "hold up".

Stupid question.....what is a T42 really....a post-war Soviet tank?

Dean L. Kellogg, Jr., MD, PhD
Department of Medicine
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
(210) 617-5311 FAX (210) 617-5312 e-mail:kelloggd@uthscsa.edu