So much to do.....so little time

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 15:37:15 PST

Hi list,

Christmas is over (thank the heavens!) and it's back to business.

Have had a fellow contact me with an NOS vacuum brake booster for sale for
the Scout Car and will soon have that in hand. (Steve, if you are reading
this, MANY Thanks!....or if one of you told Steve about my needs and put him
in touch with me, may I extend my thanks to YOU!) The Scout will indeed
have a proper set of brakes! This is quite an accomplishment, for many of
the HMV's around here never seem to have fully functional brakes (it's a
Texas thing, I think) but this has long been my personal standard....that
is, before the vehicle can go, it must be able to stop.

So this portion of the restoration is nearly completed. The estimate in
expense for brakes and bearings and seals and machine work is at this time
about a cool $1000 for those of you contemplating doing YOUR Scout Car's
brakes. That is the approximate cost for a COMPLETE overhaul and in my
opinion, not too bad, all things considered! Also, a message to my fellow
Scouties.....search out an NOS vacuum brake booster NOW and set it aside for
later. This is a non-negotiable issue unless you intend to cobble something
else together and NO, you won't be able to put enough manual pressure on the
brake pedal to compensate for no power assist on your brakes. (I tried that
on a DUKW once and it didn't stop worth a darn.) I will be looking for a
second booster (when expenditures permit) just as a spare.

The weather continues to be uncooperative.....cold wind out of the North
bringing a soaking rain and a little sleet but here I sit with all these
parts just waiting to go back on....and I can find little wrong with
that...in fact it's a nice feeling having to step over and around all these
nice new & renewed parts.

Will probably switch gears for a while and bring a big old beach towel into
the living room some evening and set the dash board on it and begin
disassembling that in preparation for it's renewal. In fact there are
plenty of little jobs yet to be done involving even more disassembly prior
to renewal, including the drive shafts, fan shroud, carburetor, etc so I
shall have plenty to occupy my time while the weather is crappy.

Keep em rollin!
(and yes, I'm still hacked off at the Postal
Service......."service".......HAAAAAA....what a joke!)
TJ