And now......still MORE guilt

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 17:10:38 PST

Hi list,

AAhhhhhhhhhhhhh just SHOOT me! People want me to sell them cruddy old ammo
cans and they'll hate me when they get em! MORE guilt! Read on.

I claim required HMV content under the premise that 50 Cal ammo cans are an
accepted HMV accessory item. Any dissenters may flame me at your
discretion.

Ok, I know the commentary about the pallets of 50 Cal cans conjured up
pictures of a stack of cans a mile high that were perfect in every respect
but the fact is they were stored somewhere where they got some weather. As
a result they all have SOME surface rust, although they are perfect on the
inside. Some are the type with the slot for the ring & pin and some are
without. I think there are two manufacturers....United and another brand
the name of which escapes me at the moment (and no, I WON'T go out in the
cold in my socks to find out for you) but really.....I always thought of 50
Cal cans as being nearly as common as M1 helmets and mess-kits. Am I wrong
about that?

I honestly envisioned giving em all the ol' sandblast treatment since I have
a blaster at my disposal (when the weather cooperates, that is) but I
suppose they could just as easily be given a good wirebrushing and another
coat of paint. I admit I do go somewhat overboard when any rust is present.

Now, to those of you who are interested in obtaining some, you have been
forwarned and I would give the pick of the litter for list members. To
those of you who wanted some, what would be an acceptable price? I also
still have 6 WWII dated wooden anti-tank mine crates without lids for cheap
that are expensive to ship due to weight. They also would look good on the
HMV's. (The fellow reports that he has more for me should I want 'em.)

I would prefer that my home NOT look like an ammo dump.....it makes the
neighbors nervous. Let me know.

TJ

P.S. By the way, I got a 1:18 scale Extreme Detail P51 Mustang for
Christmas. It is hanging from the ceiling over my computer in pursuit of a
pesky Jerry fighter.