RE: [MV] Away All Boats

From: Rayfield, Robert S Jr Mr DUSA-IA/ANTEON (RayfieldRS@hqda.army.mil)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 07:38:42 PST

Mr. Bernstein, all hands -

1. Specs on landing craft and amphibious craft (retrieved from
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ships/ships-slc.html):

Type Disp. Length No. Built
Landing Craft, Control -- LCC
----Mark I 50 56'0" (total:)
----Mark II 30 56'0" 99
Landing Craft, Mechanized -- LCM
----Mark II 26 45'0" 147
----Mark III 23 50'0" 8,631
----Mark IV 23 56'0" 2,718
 Landing Craft, Personnel (Large) -- LCP(L) 5.8 36'8" 2,193
 Landing Craft, Personnel (Ramp) -- LCP(R) 5.8 35'10" 2,631
Landing Craft, Rubber (Large) -- LCR(L) 395 lb 16'0" 10,123
Landing Craft, Rubber (Small) -- LCR(S) 210 lb 12'5" 8,150
Landing Craft, Support (Small) -- LCS(S) 558
----Mark I 9 36'8"
----Mark II 10 36'8"
Landing Craft, Vehicle -- LCV 7 36'3" 2,366
Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel -- LCVP
aka: "Higgins Boats" 9 36'0" 23,358
Landing Vehicle, Tracked -- LVT
----Mark I 7.5 21'6" 1,225
----Mark II 11 26'1" 2,962
----Mark III 12.5 24'2" 2,964
----Mark IV 10.4 26'1" 8,350
Landing Vehicle, Tracked -- LVT>Landing Vehicle, Tracked (Armored) -- LVT(A)

----Mark I 14.6 26'1" 510
----Mark II 11.4 26'1" 450
----Mark IV 17 26'1" 1,890
Amphibious Trucks
----DUKW 5.8 31'8"
----Jeep 1.6 15'7"

2. More info on landing ships loc at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ships/ships-ls.html

3. Specifically, to your questions:

a. Amtrack - Amphibious Tracked vehicle? Yes - forerunner was in WW II,
AmTracks is abbreviation for "amphibious tractor," or "amphibious tracked
vehicle," officially categorized as "LVTP-_" We used LVTP's in WW II, Korea
and Vietnam thru today. In Vietnam we went from the LVTP-5 to todays
LVTP-7, then the LVTP-7A1, now called the AAV-7A1 and (named changed to
"assault amphibious vehicle" then the numberical model number. We are now
developing the AAAV, or "advanced assault amphibious vehicle."

b. Tank Lighter? Probably an LCU, or Landing Craft, Utility.

c. VP - do not recognize this designation.

d. LCM - landing craft, mechanized.

e. LVT - landing vehicle, tracked; see above.

f. LCVP - landing craft vehicle/personnel.

g. LCT - landing craft, tank; forerunner of the LCU - see
http://members.tripod.com/~ww2lct/.

h. LCP - landing craft, personnel.

i. Attack transport - I presume it looks like a freighter - there were two
types of transports, AP and APA. The AP is a troop ship, or, "Auxiliary,
Personnel." Huge ships, military version of Queen Mary. Used for ferrying
troops to an assembly area. APA's are "Auxiliary, Personnel, Attack," and
do look more like freighters, they have booms, carry some landing craft on
deck for lowering over the sides, and allow their troops to come down rope
ladders over the side into landing craft that come along side. All APs
decommissioned, those that remain used as yard accommodation ships for other
warships undergoing repair; all APA's reclassified LPA's for "Landing (or
"Amphibious")(as opposed to "Auxiliary"), Personnel, Attack."

j. LSM - Landing ship, Medium, and LSMR, Landing ship, medium, rocket - you
left this one off of your list. See http://user.aol.com/mcdw/hometown.htm

k. LST - Landing Ship, Tank. See http://www.abiz4me.com/lst.html

l. LCI - Landing craft, Infantry. See http://www.usslci.com/

4. Current amphibious warfare ship types:

a. LHD - Amphibious, Helicopter, Dock. Cargo version of LHA. Carries
LCACs/LCUs.
             See http://www.essex.navy.mil/
b. LHA - Amphibious, Helicopter, Assault.
             See
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-lha.html for both
             LHD and LHA
c. LKA - Amphibious, Cargo, attack. See
             http://www.qadas.com/~epm/tulare/#USSTULAREAKA-112
d. LPA - Ampbibious, Tranport, Attack. See
             http://home.att.net/~jlopez-auburndale/GUESTBK.HTM
e. LPH - Amphibous, Transport, Helicopter. No well deck, only alongside
landing craft
             capability.
             See
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-mcs.html
             and http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/lph-2.htm
d. LPD - Amphibious, Transport, Dock.
             see
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-lpd.html
e. LSD - Amphibious, Ship, dock.
             See
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-lsd.html
f. LST - Amphibious, Ship, Tank.
             See
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-lst.html
             and http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/lst-1179.htm
g. LCU - Landing Craft, Utility. Carries tanks, vehicles and large amount
of troops to
             beach. see
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-lcu.html
h. LCAC - Landing Craft, Air-cushion.
             See
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-lcac.html
i. AAV-7A1 - Assault Amphibian Vehicle. AAVP - Personnel; AAVC - Command;
AAVR - Recovery.
             See http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/aavc7a1.htm
j. LCC - Amphibious Force command ship. Formerly AGC, or Auxiliary Command
Ship.
             see http://homepages.infoseek.com/~905/agc1.htm
             and
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-lcc.html