Re: [MV] UPS

From: KBDewey 42GPW (dirtman42GPW@webtv.net)
Date: Mon Jan 01 2001 - 09:37:56 PST

Actually UPS is very good, they are usually quick and easy to deal with.
And as in any business there are going to be some problems and
especially when you consider the amount of volume that UPS handles.
HOWEVER, you the customer have to use some common sense: 1) Allow plenty
of time for the delivery to reach you; 2) Deliveries are only made
during business hours and there must be a person available to accept
delivery as there are people that follow the UPS trucks and steal the
packages off your porch. So either be home or make arrangements to have
the package delivered to a neighbor, relative (or if ticking an
exinlaw). Or better yet your work place where an office person can
receive it for you (make sure that it is ok with the office first).
Otherwise you will have to go to the UPS office to pickup the package.

If you send UPS: 1) Make sure you wrap the part(s) tightly and in the
correct size box with extra packaging tape to hold and align the leaves
of the box correctly when taping. Make sure the box is not bulging. Use
a fresh box, DONOT use a "used" or damaged box. You do not want the part
to move around at all when you shake the box but you also do not want
the seams of the box stressed; 2) when loading the box check to make
sure the part fits easily first, then remove the part and lay in a bed
of packing. Styrofoam peanuts are best or bubble wrap. Then lay in the
part and fill the voids to level with the top of the box; 3) Put the
address and phone number of the sender and recipient on a very large
piece of paper INSIDE the box, taped to the jeep part. This is so that
in case the box is damaged like in a plane crash or truck wreck UPS can
verify and still make delivery. (I worked for the USPS (the government
version of UPS) one xmas and they THROW your "fragile" (No one there
reads) packages as far as 20 feet when sorting the mail and they
sometimes miss the bin. The best shipped packages especially fruit cake
will survive this stress test) 3) Address the box like you would any
other mail and make it BIG so it is easy to read. Computers are great
for this as you can make the letters 50pt if you want. Use spray
adhesive and tape the address labels to the box. Leave room for the UPS
shipping label.

I worked for a small company that shipped a lot of stuff UPS and I also
do alot for myself both shipping and receiving MV parts to and from
people like RAPCO, Antelope Valley and other MV suppliers and have NEVER
had a problem EXCEPT when an idiot relative shipped UPS to my home out
in the boonies than I had to go down to UPS and get the package (during
business hours) and that only added a few unnecessary days to the
shipping time.

Now finally as it is in life we've all had problems with one type of
business or another and like to tell horror stories, it makes us feel
good or justifies OUR position. This is not fair to the people that do
it right, fairly or occasionally give us a break. Like in the case in
this thread where the driver said the customer moved. Maybe the driver
was having a bad day, his wife left him for a nother UPS driver or he
ran over the neighbors cat (urs). Or the driver was just another idiot
we run into now and then (I know I've reached my bag limit of those).

It is also not right to air your dirty laundry on this net. As it has
been in the case of some of our more active members. "If ur gonna duke
it out do it out side" (mom's rule), we don't want to hear about it.
UNLESS there is a peron or company that we should be aware of then let
us know. BUT make absolutely sure you have ALL the facts right. Don't
want to hear "and Billy said......" that's hearsay old lady gossip and
might be slanderous. When you point a finger there are 3 pointing back.
And it's not against the law to be stupid or some of us would get life.
So lets keep the jabs n pokes to working on the guts of that frozen
tranny.

There is a lot of knowledge floating around on this net and alot of
vehicles we would all like to restore and keep up and running so lets
stick to THAT STUFF. I have learned tons of info in the past few years
that I have been on this net (a lot I prob will never use and some that
IF I do use might make me dangerous to be around) like why the
difference in springs on my jeep. I greatly appreciate all this free
flowing help and only wish that we keep it up and "Keep em Rolling" .
Lets all have a happy new year (or hang over). Tks, now "delete", Keith
B Dewey