Re: [MV] 194?? International Wrecker

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 01 2001 - 20:17:01 PST

I own a 1942 IHC M-3L-4 cargo truck. Rest assured, if it is an
International, be prepared to fork over BIG BUCKS for many parts, when you
find them. Brake especially are EXPENSIVE. International used some odd
Wagner Hi-Tork rear wheel cylinders and parts are non-existent. Fortunatly,
White Post did an outstanding job on my brakes....master cylinder and wheel
cylinders. All said, it was about $850 for restoration with a lifetime
guarantee. All said, it cost be about $1500 to rebuild the brakes on my
single rear axle truck. You can expect to add about $500 if you have a
tandem axle.

Fortunately, I've had no engine troubles as my truck began life as a crash
truck and only has 6xxx original miles (yes, less than 7000 miles) since
new. I understand engine parts aren't too hard to find, but other parts
aren't so easy.

I even joined an old International truck list and they all recommended using
White Post as the old brake parts (and many others) just aren't available.

I am not trying to scare you off from the truck, just want you to be
informed of what you may be getting into. If the truck has been sitting any
length of time, it WILL need the brakes rebuilt.

Jim