Re: [MV] What the heck is the name of that stuff ?

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 19:21:55 PST

>Waaaaaaaaay back I remeber using some stuff on assembled
>nut/bolt
>joints. It was to show if the fastener had moved at all. Went on
>kinda like nail polish and you could either draw a stripe from
>the bolt head to the item under the bolt, or a line from the
>nut down onto the threads. When the bolt or nut rotated
>(through
>service or vibrating loose) the paint line would visibly
>crack/chip/ dust so it would be obvious to the eye if the part
>has loosened, without having to use a torque wrench.
>
>So might anyone know what this is ? A trade name or even a
>supplier ? Anything to go on ??

Sounds like what I used at a long ago employer to seal calibration pots. By
sealing I mean in a security kind of way, if the customer made any attempt
to adjust the calibration it could only be done by cracking the stuff off.
It was called Glyptol as I recall, kind of like a thick varnish. Try an
electronics supplier perhaps. Sounds like the same kind of thing anyway.

je