Re(2): [MV] The nuts and bolts of the matter... (Question)

From: Gordon.W.I. McMillan (gwim2@student.open.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 11:30:22 PST

The grading stuff can be a bit misleading. I tend to use 'high - tensile'
bolting for most places where I really wouldn't want it to come unglued,
but I've never encountered better fasteners than the originals on my
Dodges, and I get paid to inspect this sort of stuff so......

One thing you need to look at is bolt diameter. Bolt capacity is normally
sized on the material and diameter, and the thickness of the nut should
normally be the same as the diameter of the bolt. On a female thread the
bolt would achieve maximum grip when it was in the block or whatever the
same depth as the bolt diameter. Coarse and fine threads have different
torque capacity too, so the standard head bolt stud will be coarse thread
where it screws into the block, but fine thread where you put the nut on
it to torque the head down.

I make a point of salvaging every original I can from my toys as the
quality is usually far superior to modern replacements, and that's before
you get to the problems with head configuration.

Gordon