Re: [MV] M35A2 Head Gasket R & R

From: TacticalTruck@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 05:17:55 PST

In a message dated 1/4/01 10:28:12 PM, kbernste@us.ibm.com writes:

>updated gasket P/N. I'd appreciate any suggestions on
Be sure and use the latest head gasket available. It's a black gasket with
integral fire ring and does not require retorque. Many of the surplus engine
gasket sets out there do not have the latest gasket. A bunch of sets came out
of Mechanicsburg a while back with the old style gasket. CMS in Augusta, Ga
has head sets for $125. Memphis wants $75 for one gasket.

>- other things we might as well do while we're in there
Do both heads weather they need it or not. I leave the manifolds (intake and
exhaust and turbo if there) bolted up and lift both heads at once, saving
labor.

>- any special gotchas we need to watch out for.
You'll need a special wrench to get to the head bolts below the injectors. I
made one by cutting the end off a box wrench and welding an old socket to it.
You may have to remove the two small coolant manifolds that go between the
intake manifold and the heads, up top, if you don't have a thin wall socket
that can access the head bolts next to them. The bolts that hold these on
corrode in the manifold and you'll snap the bolt heads off. If one feels
stuck, put some heat to the manifold to expand it away from the bolt making
it possible to remove the bolt.
Jeff
TacticalTruck.com