Re: [MV] jerry cans

From: KBDewey 42GPW (dirtman42GPW@webtv.net)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 08:29:20 PST

I have had 4 dif responses. 1) United States Multifuel Can 2) US
Metallic Can Co. (I would think there would be a second "C" embossed on
the side) 3) US Marine Corps and 4) US Metal Can. Remember on the
bottom is "20 - 5 - 42" and "CONCO" I think CONCO is the manufacture so
the manufacture would not be there 2 times and the "42" is the tooling
year sooooo what does the U.S.M.C. stand for?

Oh and does the "20 stand for litters assuming the "5" stands for
gallons and that these cans were produced and distributed to our metric
allies.

1) I don't believe that there were multifuel engines during WWII but as
there were diesel ones this could very well be for diesel OR gas and the
different type of pour spout was a way to give notice to the sleepy GI
to pay attention and don't cross fuel gas into a diesel tank or vice
(caboink-clank) versa?

2) I think the "CONCO" stamped on the bottom is the manufacture.

3) OR is this really a Marine Corps specified type of can as this type
of pour spout would be more convienent than the ones with the screw in
spout as often times the spout tends to get lost or bounced out and alot
of fuel is wasted when trying to pour when in a hurry and the small oval
spout would be quick to use.

4) U.S. Metal Can. The logic here is the other gas cans had just "U. S."
on the bottom of the side panel. This was to show country of origin. And
the spout and lid are dif than the true "jerry" can (German) and the
British copy. So I wounder if because the spout on these cans is the
same or similar to the German and British that again the "U.S.M.C."
stands for either US Marien Corps (My pers favorite) or US Metal Can
(droll but true) and there is still the multifuel can meaining.

I would like to know the facts for my own OD trivia and because this can
will be on my WWII jeep I wll be asked so I'd like to get i right and
pass it on right. Tks K Oh and someone hinted at there being a "Gas can
Alley" web site?