USMC/CONCO 1943 jerry can pictures

From: Mike and Cheryl (mleaton@netins.net)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 07:57:32 PST

I have one of these cans dated 1943. There was a plate soldered over
USMC on side at one time (this was removed before I got it) the solder
is still visible. I have given you 3 pictures at:

http://showcase.netins.net/web/iamvpa/ebay.htm

You can see the CONCO 20-5-43 on the bottom and USMC on the side.
Sorry one of my kids filled in the USMC with a black marker. I was told the
US Metallic Can CO. started making cans in the 60's (but don't know for
sure).
I have a can made by them. I was also told that the numbers on bottom stood
for
20 (litre) 5 (gallon) 43 (year of manufacture), but have no facts to say
that is correct.
I only offer pictures as proof that they do exist. Ok so what are they
worth? I know
a guy with 6 of them and he was offered quite alot for one ($200) and didn't
take it
You know how hard headed those old Marines are.

Mike in Iowa
mleaton@netins.net