Re: [MV] LST 325 arrival in Mobile

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@ruralnet.net.au)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 14:09:24 PST

KBDewey 42GPW wrote:

> It nice when some yahoo thinks he's going to tell us what they will
> only do and when we out number them.

Here is the chance to get the press on side. If enough of you in
America bombard the appropriate media (emails, phone calls etc) with
comnplaints about the limitations on access to this ship and its
veterans, how the authorities are not supporting the veterans and the
public interest in them etc etc AND especially that LONG walk then the
powers-that-be may just have to eat humble pie and cater to the public
demand.

> but show up at the gate early and if necessary create a traffic jam
> the likes they have never seen.They more than likely will allow more
> vehicles in and open it up.

You do run the risk of a lot of jaded people missing out on what they
came to see. You are hoping common sense will prevail (it and
officialdom are not necessarily compatible) and that they will allow
the extra numbers in.

So instead of this "the first 1000 can park, the rest can forget it"
attitude, perhaps a little creative thinking may help?
I assume that "they" have never heard of the English concept of
"Park and Ride" (Nigel and cohorts used it at this years Beltring so
as to cater for the overflow and to minimise the walk for those who
could not park onsite, what it also is, is good PR). Nothing more than
an off site parking area and a free bus service (Beltring) or as in
most of England, you pay to park and the bus ride to and from is free.
May be next time, because there would not be sufficient time to
organise it for tomorrow.

Getting the press on side via emails etc before hand may be the best
tactic?

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@ruralnet.net.au

Web Armour site at: