USMC Uniforms

From: Eugene PANTANO (truks@cs.quik.com)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 16:50:08 PST

This is from an ACTIVE MARINE I know...enjoy..Gene

NEW UTILITY SURVEY

           In Korea, Marines were called "yellow legs" because of the
distinctive canvas leggings worn over their boots. During Operation Desert
Storm, Iraqi forces were able to identify Marines by our black boots, as did
the Somalis during Operations Restore/Continue Hope. In Haiti, Marines were
known as "white sleeves" because of the way they rolled their sleeves.
Throughout history our adversaries have learned to recognize our uniforms as
a result of their respect for our warrior spirit.
           General James Jones, the 32nd Commandant of the Marine Corps, has
directed the development of a new utility uniform - a uniform that provides
durability and practicality, as well makes us more recognizable as America's
"911 Force." To this end, the Commandant wants YOUR help choosing the
utility uniform for tomorrow's Marine Corps.
           A paper survey was compiled and administered to groups of Marines
throughout the Marine Corps. The same survey, with minor modifications, was
administered over the internet. Both surveys queried Marines (and others)
their opinion for various component design options. We wish to thank all
who participated in the surveys for their support in this effort.
            The data obtained from these surveys will be used to produce
initial prototypes for extensive wear testing. Beginning in January of
2001, designated units will test the uniforms under demanding conditions,
ranging from amphibious operations during MEU(SOC) work-up training, desert
operations at CAX, to jungle warfare training. The results of these test
will culminate in a final design for decision. ----- Original Message -----