Dodge727 tranny question.

From: Mark Baxter (alleywayguns@bacavalley.com)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 08:08:55 PST

Friends. I have come across a Dodge 727 Automatic Transmission out of a car
with a 383 engine. The tailshaft removes so I can install the short shaft
that attaches to the transfer case for my M-886 Dodge Ambulance, as its
tranny is in bad shape and around here it will cost me almost $1000.00 to
rebuild it.
 My Question is will this bolt up to my 318 engine? I have one mechanic
friend who says it will bolt up to the 318, and I have had another one tell
me it will not bolt up. Who is right? the 727 tranny case is a one peice
mold, so I can not remove the bell housing an switch them, BUT I can not see
dodge making 2 different 727 Trannys for the small block and big block
engines. Who is right. Mark M-886