Re: [MV] Re(2): [MV] CCKW-353 has arrived home!..MVs in movies questions.

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 11:02:21 PST

> > Just one for the moment, and that's the James Garner vehicle "Tank"
where
> > the tank in question truly is the star of the film. I guess the
LRDG-type
> > WWII jeeps in the old series "Rat Patrol" probably rank right up there
too.

> > Andy Hill
> > MVPA 9211
> > Vancouver, B.C.
>
> You mean the " Rat Patrol " filmed in Spain using MB grilled M38's as the
series progressed
> and I guess they started running ouy of MB's. They also had " German "
Dodges and White
> Half tracks.

Hm. Didn't know about the M38 part. On film I seldom look much beyond the
grillwork on the jeep vehicles before I get violently ill, so I'll have to
run through my tapes to take a harder, second look. Certainly the "Rat
Patrol" villains loved their 'captured' (cough, cough) allied vehicles, and
I think there's still a dictum in Hollyweird that anything with an Afrika
Korps palm-tree on tan paint-job will suffice for the majority of ac/adv
viewers, most of whom probably just got done with the WWF Super-Smackdown
XXXVVVVIIIII.

Combat! I suppose (sure made use of those M37's, didn't they?), but when
you watch that program, you don't get the sense that the vehicles themselves
are characters through use as 'regular players' that you do with Rat Patrol.
Those jeeps (in one form or another) were in practically every episode.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C. (worst memory in recent film history has to be Robert Culp
trying to be Rommel atop some variety of US Half-track thundering through
                            the California desert somewhere near Addis
Ababa.)