Re: [MV] M1028 A2/A3 axle question

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 06:50:05 PST

> I know that many (if not all) early-to-mid 80's, Chevrolet (regular
>production) 1-ton 4x4 dually trucks came with a Dana 70 rear instead of the
>Corporate 14-bolt. I would naturally assume that the CUCV M1028 A2/A3 models
>followed this rule if they came from factory with dual rear wheels. Can
>anyone confirm or dispel this from personal knowledge?

I can confirm that the wide dually's (from a pickup) were Dana 70's, the
narrow dually's (from a cab&chassis type) were the 14 bolts, although I
think the tubes were heavier or something like that. But... the GM Dana 70
had GM 14 bolt type spindles and hubs, not Dana spindles and hubs. This
part I know for sure as I am in the middle of a friends project to put a
Dana 70 under his 3/4 Suburban and we are using a pickup dually GM Dana 70
and just shortening the tubes. We also are then using the single hubs from
the original GM 14 bolt axle that was on the suburban and using the dually
brakes (drums and backing plates) which will need to be spaced out several
inches. You may ask why, well it's a Diesel conversion and we want to get
as close to 3.0:1 gear as we can and there do exist 3.08 gears for the Dana
70's.

What was the reason for asking if I might ask?

later,

je