CCKW- handbrake, publications, carbie, fording & winching

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 14:48:18 PST

Hi.....am missing the handbrake lever...is it identical to a Diamond
T?...there is one at
a nearby wrecker....totally rusted but still with HB lever.

I have parts manual SNL G-508, Service TM 10-1563, also TM9-2800(1943 US).

Are there any other good ones, general or technical...I an new to MVs . I
have
NO other MV books in my large auto collection, something i hope to rectify

I cant get Rambo on film anymore...that website clip i mentioned is from
that
film i believe....also the island in Pacific with lots of US equip is
Palmira Is.

mine has a Carter W1 carbie...what are they normally fitted too...it needs
o/h

the reason i want to be specific about fording depth...this truck will be
used
to get into very innaccessable places...100km from me is a large tract of
temperate
rainforest, within this is some of the most magnificent forest of its type
surely
left on the planet....however to get in, one must criss-cross a river, the
in and out
crossings are the worst 24-30 inches, usually. I got stuck last time in my
IH Scout,
due to my fan blades stiking water and throwing water on the coil. I had to
winch out.

In many cases of getting stuck, one wishes to winch out backwards and decide
whether
to procede forward or try something easier. I think the bckwards winching
setup on mine
is a mod...no-one has indicated they have this setup. I will experiment.

The GMC should be fine. no-one goes in except very well preped vehicles
since a big
flood knocked out the causeway, making the entrance crossing very rough and
gnarly,
as well as deep.

One more question...there is a stopcock on the brake line RH side, prior to
front junction.
Can this be used to shut off the front lines and run on the rear brakes
only?

Why did they do this?

Can i scan a photo and post it to this list...are attachments allowed?

I am located near Newcastle, just north of Sydney, right on the eastern
coast of OZ.

regards tony