Re: [MV] removing rear axle shafts

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 03:29:12 PST

In a message dated 1/22/01 1:26:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
miltrkr@concentric.net writes:

<<
 if i read this right yes, but if you leave one shaft in spiders and one side
 gear turns constantly , and no torque supplied from ring and pinion as with
all
 open differentials all supplied torque goes to shaft of least resistance in
this
 case the side gear with no shaft. >>
As a matter of fact, you are correct. However because there are two
differentials connected, we have to modify our thinking. The rear diff with
the 1 axle for example, because the axle is in place the axle gear will be
rotating at the same rpm as the tire attached. The rear diff will also be
turning at nearly the same rpm because its being driven by the front diff via
the jackshaft. Suppose the foreward rear drive axle had different size tires
(no--no). Then there would be more spider gear activity because the tire
height would modify the rpm of the front diff and then the rear diff because
of the jackshaft connection. As you indicate about the torque being applied
to the side with the least resistance, if you pull the one rear axle and then
jack up just one tire off of the forward diff you will loose traction. By
just pulling that one rear axle you eliminate any pull because of the open
diff. If you only had the single rear axle and pulled a shaft you wouldn't go
because all of the applied torque is going to the shaft with the least
resistance (missing shaft). The only reason pulling 1 axle will work in this
situation is because the jack shaft keeps the diff spinning. Now, if you
pull one axle and the jack shaft, the spiders are going to spin themselves
right into the junk pile because the side with the axle is going to turn but
the diff will not because the spiders will differentiate. Thanks fol
listening to my babble, I need to keep quiet for a while so I don't clog up
the list....

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee, FL
Reo M-275 tractor