axles

From: Everett Doyle (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 17:01:41 PST

Three or four years ago I pulled all axles on M37 to repack and replace
seal, had one leaking grease. Both rear axles were rusty about 10 inches
from outer side and over to about a foot from differential, had not been any
oil on them in 40 years, took out seals that probably were put in in 1952,
there was some rust on bearing so I replaced them all. New seals, new
bearings,repacked with best grease I could find, new wheel cylinders, shoes,
drain and refill differentials, transmission and transfer case twice.
Drained them refilled drove about 60 miles and drained again. Probably will
never do again. Based on last time will not be needed until year 2045 and I
do not think I will be here for this.