Mule Electrical Start Upgrade Kit

From: John Rozell (jrozell@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2001 - 04:57:35 PST

I am planning to convert mule mule project to electrical start and,
based on conversations with other list members,
the military used an "upgrade kit" to convert pull start to electrical
start. I am not planning on installing an alternator, but instead plan
to us a trickle charger to keep the battery charged between starts.
I would like to find the switch box that clamps onto the steering wheel
column, as well as the wiring harness. NOS would be nice but I'd
consider TO if available. Also, does anyone know if there is a technical
manual which covers this upgrade installation and lists the parts
required?
All I would like to add to the $150 mule harness discussion is that I
met Jeff Smith at Helen, looked over his other harness kits, and think
he is an upfront guy and his kits are top quality. I'm sure his mule
harnesses are equally as good. Many other list members, like myself,
have to pinch pennies to support our hobby, but I know that when I am
ready to buy a harness for my other M38 project, I'll probably buy a new
reproduction one from Jeff. While I probably might come across 50 year
old NOS harnesses for less, I don't think the worry of rotted rubber and
cracked insulation is worth the hassle.
Thanks as always for any info you can pass along.
John Rozell