Any thoughts on value of my M37?

From: Enterprise B&B/Cayman Islands, BWI (Enterprise@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 10:00:53 PST

The following is an ad I'm thinking of putting on eBay for my M37. I don't
go for the "Reserve not yet met" stuff so if I put it up, I want to make
the first bid what it is worth. I know I can't factor time into it and
honestly, I have enjoyed working on it and probably will get another MV
(Mental Health Break Therapy for me). So any input of any sort will be
appreciated especially about information which anyone feels I should add
including more pictures. Here it is . .

When I say "Parade Ready" I'm not talking about a frame off restoration, I
mean a good looking dependable Weapons Carrier which you can use daily and
have a lot of fun driving. Here is the story and the specifics: <P>This is
a 1965 M37B1 model which came from the USMC in California. I am the third
owner. The first owner got the unit in 1973 and put in a V8 engine, I
think the engine is a Chrysler 3XX and seems to be the standard swap
engine. This owner kept it for about 3 years and had a lot of work done. I
forgot to mention, I have all the receipts for work since Day One (Day One
being the day it was released from the USMC) and there was a lot of routine
upkeep done and parts replaced over the years. This vehicle was taken care
of very well. <P>In 1975 it was bought by a man and his wife who live 2
blocks from me. They kept it up and did repairs as needed and some not
needed. They loved to go out to the desert with it and I mean really way
off-road. They went to the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, etc. I saw some of
their photos and they really used but not abuse what they named <I>The
Rino</I>. <P>
As things happen, age took its toll on this couple and they stopped using
the M37 in 1995 and parked it in their driveway. They were smart enough to
file a "Non-Operation Certification" with the California DMV so no
penalties were due when I got it. Anyway, in 2000, I saw it for the first
time and made a deal to buy it. It was Camo at the time. <P>For having sat
for 5 years, it was in very good condition. I rebuilt the master cylinder
and had 2 tie-rod ends replaced (thanks to A.B. Lynn and eBay for the
parts). I had the radiator professionally boiled out and that was basically
it. <P>
I wanted a fun vehicle and always liked the O.D. look so I got some O.D.
paint through Military Vehicle magazine and did the paint job. Before that,
I got a non-gun (Browning 30 cal, 1919A1) and had the pedestal mount custom
made. The Browning goes w/the M37.<P> I had the spare tire which had been
remounted to the rear moved back to the door (10 "Cool Guy" points for this
I'm told).<p>
This is a very good, solid dependable vehicle. As far as I can tell, here
is what it needs and/or "problems":
<P>1. Fuel gage not working.<P> Directionals not working.<P>Brake lights
not working (I think the wires need connecting to the master cylinder).
<P>There is a tear/break in the plastic window in the canvas top. <P>The
seat covers are O.D. canvas but don't match. <P>The tires are old and
cracked but personally I would trust them fully (of course I said that
about "Slick Willie"). <P>Everything else seems to work OK though I haven't
checked everything out. <P>I also have a hard top for it which I think is
original USMC. I believe it is metal w/fiberglass or heavy spray paint
(white) covering it.<P>I also was given lots of spare parts including a
starter, water pump and several gasket sets, belts and I think some wheel
cylinders. It also has some "free wheeling" hubs on the front but I have
never tried them. I don't know if these are original USMC or what. Since
this was a real off-road trooper, the people who had it wanted to make sure
if anything happened when they were off-road, they had parts. Smart people.
<P>
So if this is such a nice vehicle, why am I selling it? <P>
I had a lot of fun doing my quasi-restoration (OK, really mostly cosmetic
changes) but honestly, I don't have the time to really enjoy it. I manage a
dental office for a friend and work part-time doing Medico-legal work for a
friend who is an Orthopedic Surgeon. I'm also close to 62 years old with
the normal deterioration for those years. Simply put, I can't see letting
this fun vehicle sit and only running it in 2-3 parades a year. I have
enjoyed playing with it and would like to maybe get something else (top of
my wish list are a White Scout Car or a Ferret).<P>
There is one thing which I feel is necessary to include and that is, this
is not a new vehicle, it's not perfect, it's not something which you would
think of entering in a MVPA competition. You might not even like the fact
that this style vehicle is not properly O.D. <P>As with anything, you
should either see it yourself if you are considering buying or have someone
come out and look at it for you. If you are seriously considering getting
this or any other vehicle, there are lots of vehicle inspection services
which for something like $125.00 will come out and give a vehicle a 500
point check. I think this is a good investment since while I have been as
honest as a former attorney can be (little joke here), I can not guarantee
what is inside a transmission housing, rear end or engine. As with any
mechanical item, something could last 50 years or go out tomorrow. I will
guarantee what I have said above is the truth, 100%.<P>You can see a lot of
photos of my M37 at:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1209769&a=8929575>

             GET YOUR CUSTOM MADE LICENSE PLATES
                       FOR ONLY $28.30