Re: [MV] M-38 Numbers, what do they mean

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 19:44:19 PST

The "20" at the start of the USA registration number signifies that the
vehicle is a:
"Truck, reconnaissance, all sizes (incl. carryall etc.) and buses." (ref.
Bart Vanderveen)

Used throughout WWII and on into early 1950s.

The next six digits are simply the rest of the number assigned to the
vehicle. By the time the M38s were built, the number sequence was around
209XXXXX. No special significance to the 9 or if it was an 8 as the third
digit as far as I know.

My 1944 Willys MB is 20737814 (I found this number painted on the front
bumper).

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)