Re: [MV] Fw: [MV] Electrical Upgrade parts for M274 Mule

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 08:26:31 PST

> The other curious thing is, why would they not have gone with 24V? Again,
> just like using the 14 tooth gear because that's what was available, they
> may not have had a 24V motor designed, so to save costs, go with what they
> already have designed and have made before, kind of a kit bash approach.
>

> je

je,
    My 3 guesses are:

1. Weight -- 24 volt components (of current use) would be heavier, and need
2 batteries. Unless, of course, they special built a system for this
application.

2. Simplicity-- The 12 volt system used on the M274 upgrade is fairly
simple. Most people with any mechanical knowledge can work on it. ( Even
hillbillies,like me)

3. Supply-- The other electrical components were already found on the M880,
and other civy. vehicles. The only special order electrical part was the
starter. I still can't believe this starter wasn't used on something else.
Like you said the starters on the next generation mil-std engines(2AO42)
were mounted backward (from the mule application) and were 24 volt.
The other special order parts of the upgrade (ones that couldn't be found
somewhere else) were:

Battery box
Fenders
Double belt pulley
Switch box (the switches were standard and found in other vehicles)
Alternator mount and guard

Cost could have been a factor, but I don't think so. Remember, this is
Uncle's Army were talking about.

Thanks for you're input.
Keith in TN.