Speaking of importing: Armor vs. Armour

From: Dean L. Kellogg, Jr (kelloggd@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 08:11:29 PST

>I thought until a few weeks ago, the ATF (or one of the government
>agencies) had pretty much banned the import of forgien armor? If so,
>how could anyone have been bringing it in? (and openly selling it, anyway)
>Jay Travis
>
>William R. Benson wrote:
>
>> Got me thinking...
>>
>> Who does deal with armor? Has there been any surplus old soviet made stuff
>> showing up out there?

There were a couple of posts a few weeks ago that stated that BATF was
issuing Form 6's for importation of NON-US MADE armor (which should be
spelled "armour" I supppose). One of the posts from one of those leading
the way against the BATF has been Earl Tucker. His post stated that Form
6's were being issued for NON-US Made armour, but not being issued for
US-MADE armor. (I have emailed him for clarification as I am interested in
getting US origin armor back to the US). SO bringing in NON-US origin
armour seems to be possible.

What I know about importing US MADE armor is that the State Department
first has to issue an approval to transfer the vehicle. THe application
preocess begins with the overseas ownersending a retransfer application to
the State Dept identifying the item proposed for retransfer, the means by
which it was originally acquired, and the proposed recipient (the buyer).
The application process then asks the buyer to sign an end use amd
retransfer assurance for the vehicles. If upon receiving this the State
Dept approves the retransfer they notify you and the BATF.....BATF is then
responsibie for approving or denying the application to import the
vehicles.

SO....there you have it.....turning armour into armor.....

Dean L. Kellogg, Jr., MD, PhD
Department of Medicine
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
(210) 617-5311 FAX (210) 617-5312 e-mail:kelloggd@uthscsa.edu