Re: [MV] Blowing turrets off tanks & another surviving SKINK tank turret

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 23:52:37 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "William R. Benson" <Benson@eqe.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] [MVlist] Re: Andy Michalski and his ongoing antics!

....> Bill Benson
> (Did you know that a TOW-2B can flip the turret of a T-80 at least 50
meters, if
> the gunner knows what he's doing?)

**** A 106 mm Recoilless Rifle mounted on an M38A1CDN2 (or CDN3) jeep can
blow the turret off a Sherman tank. Been there, done that. Wainwright,
Alberta, Canada early mid-1970s. Yes, 2/Lts can hit the target - sometimes.
;-) Sure it was fun, but now I work to save the survivors.

***** For example, I have, following the lead of a friend, found a turret
for a SKINK tank and it is earmarked for the Canadian War Museum. They would
like to match it up with a GRIZZLY tank hull and recreate the world's last
SKINK. A Skink tank by the way was a Canadian built anti-aircraft WWII tank.
Hull was a Canadian built Grizzly (i.e. M4 Sherman) type (188 Grizzlies
made) and 3 Skinks were made and 8 conversion kits for Skinks (as I recall).
One turret survives in Gregg Canadian Collection, now at RCA Museum in CFB
Shilo, Manitoba, Canada and the one I located is the second known survivor.
Both turrets are unmachined castings that have some target range damage.

Captain Colin Macgregor Stevens, CD
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)