Re: [MV] Air/Hydraulic Brake Question

From: James Wiehe (j.wiehe@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 07:58:09 PST

Ken,
       Yes you can use a trailer with straight air brakes.
At the back of your tractor you have 2 air hoses. Since this is a military tractor
they both will be black. Most new commercial ones are red and blue.
Somewhere at the frame / back of cab your should have 2 petcocks for releasing
air into these lines. When you turn the line tagged "service" there will be no air coming
out unless someone steps on the brake pedal or pulls down on the " spike " or trailer
hand control valve which is on the right side of your steering wheel shaft, just under your
steering wheel. When you turn on the one tagged "emergency" you will find that there is
always air coming out of this line. This air is what keeps your trailer parking brakes from
applying.
Without going into great detail about the valve set-up on a semi- trailer, there is basically an
air exhaust port which lets the service air out when you release the foot brake or move the
"spike" back up.
Please make sure that you have the correct drivers license or you could be in trouble with your
local or state police.
Jim Wiehe , VA3JHW
mail to : j.wiehe@sympatico.ca