Re: [MV] Steering Box

From: lou (lou@frontier.net)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 15:28:29 PST

> I have an M-38 and the seal on the sector shaft is leaking. Does anyone
> have a good way to replace the seal without removing the steering
> column, and Steering wheel from the vehicle........Thanks Gary

Mines apart so I can't just look at it. But I don't think there's enough
clearence to get a pitman arm puller in there without removing the engine.
You might be able to drop the driveshafts, slide the tranny/transfer back,
and move the engine over but that seems like more work then just pulling the
steering gear. If the box has a lot of years on it you may want to pull it
anyway. There's two bushings (bearings they say) in there that likely need
to be replaced.

Check out the tech tips pages at http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Index.html
for some good tips on seperating the steering wheel from the shaft without
destroying the tube etc!

Regards Lou