CCKW..50 hour report....mystery truck, etc

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 13:14:38 PST

Hi All, thanks for the advice and support.

After 50 hrs labor, dismantling of the cab is nearly complete & lots else
The fasteners were mostly cut off, which was a bitch, as they were very hard
grade 8.
Is this standard?...there are still a few stubborn ones holding things
together.
They should go today...then i will have to drill out some broken-off stubs,
another bitch of a job..oh well, what do i expect.

A few of the panels are stripped and brushed ready for POR15.
The brakes work.
All exposed areas of the chassis are stripped, cleaned and nearly ready for
POR.
It has now been scraped and degreased 10 times at least.
A new manifold flange and muffler pipe will be fabricated shortly.
My spare guards are ready to be fitted.
I run her regularly, for each new inspecter.
Will be slyly test cruising down a local backroad very soon.

I will publish a list of details such as serial nos for stuff
soon, as well as adding myself to the Deuce register, also a list
of what is missing.

One thing i have found, gear oil is pissing out the inner flange seal
on the left front wheel...worse still it looks wonky..ie the camber
appears askew..i havnt measured yet, it could be low tire pressure
(he hopes), or even that the left does have a different camber at
various positions thru its steering turn, with respect to the
right???....there does not seem to be any play in the bearings,

I will probly tear down this wheel/axle to fix the oil leak...
checking the manuals the problem( camber) could be collapsed bearings
within the vertical axis of the front CV type joint..just
thoughts at this stage.

Got a phone call last night from the mystery truck owner to say
it was now mine...this was after a call a few days earlier asking
if i still wanted it..i said yes enthusiastically....I knew something
was wrong from his crestfallen tone...a bloke had turned up at his
farm and he had agreed to sell to him!!!!well, diplomacy called for
here i think, so i sweet talk the guy and empathise...
"what a bummer hey, real ethical dilemna, yes this has happenned to me
before
i spose it is my fault for being slack, but i thought we had agreed etc etc
give me a ring when u make your mind up etc".

Anyway i now will go and pay on Wednesday, sight unseen...the main thing is
it has
the 270cu plus Clark 5speed..it has the older split axles and TX case, but i
have
spares of them for my truck.....the price was pocket money...the tyres are
not much
good apparently, but 10 wheels!..the cab(Chevy style) is rogered, winch
gone.
Hopefully some of the bits i need i can score of this unit.
I will get the same dude who trucked CCKW to transport it to my rural block,
so no wives , neighbours need be offended by the awful side...apparently the
rear frame has been "bastardised" and a huge jib added.

Will report on details when mission accomplished...tony