RE: [MV] M35 differential questions

From: Rikk Rogers (rkltd@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 11:23:08 PST

Neil,
Not true, an M35 is relatively easy to stick, especially with bare NDTs, and
the diff can't be locked.
According to RAM and some others the best solution is to have chains on all
10.
The truck is made fore rough country and off road, but not for scout or
patrol, a jeep is far better in that role.
The really neat thing about an M35 is that you can carry enough tools and
equipment to go generally anywhere, if you are willing to work at it and are
not in a hurry.
On the front drive system, it can be a disadvantage, especially if it is
automatic.
Many many years ago an old coon, recluse, peanut/cotton farmer uncle of mine
gave me the secrete of 4X drive, "Go as far as you can go in 2 wheel drive,
and when you get stuck put it in 4 wheel and go back".
In a Deuce with the automatic front drive, when you do get stuck, you are
sure enough, all the way plumb, stuck.

I've had mine stuck on hub deep mud, and on a flat hill top in 4" of snow,
when I have the extra cash I'll take RAM's advice and get a full set of
chains.

Rikk Rogers - RK Lion LTD.
(580)762-3157 rkltd@swbell.net
http://home.swbell.net/rkltd/