Re: [MV] Question about Humvee ownerships

From: Brandon Kunicki (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 18:03:13 PST

It depends....

If it was one of a number available recently at a
private auction it will have come with a Form 97
"Certificate to Obtain Title to a Vehicle." This is a
US government form that transfers ownership of an
ex-military vehicle to the first civilian owner.

If it was rebuilt from wrecks, it is not a vehicle
until you title it in your state. This could be easy
or very difficult depending on the requirements of
your state. You'd better check carefully into your
state's laws before you buy this one! Ask your motor
vehicle authority how you title a vehicle with a lost
title or title a car built from parts. You may have to
register it as a kit car.

The other possibility of course is that it is stolen.
The seller better have some documentation as to the
provenance of this truck or you should run away fast!

Brandon