M37B1 hauling questions

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 11:22:01 PST

Hello all,

I am most likely going to purchase a M37B1 as my next MV (got two Weasels
so far), but I wanted to run a few things by the experts first.

I live in central Maine and currently I own a '97 GMC Sierra z71 for the
usual stuff as well as hauling around my 16' car trailer and Weasel. The
"problem" is that I do not have the "need" two trucks (note I am using
non-MVer definitions of "problem" and "need" <g>). Although my wife is
strongly in favor of buying a M37, because they are "very cool and fun",
there are the nagging practical issues that come with having two trucks
and only limited need for even one.

In theory, we could sell the Sierra, buy an M37B1 *and* a M274 (yes, I
have The Disease) *and* still have some money left over for parts for
both. The only problem I can see is hauling around the Weasel. And now
I finally get around to my questions...

1. Is it possible for a M37B1 to haul a load totaling (including
trailer) roughly 6500 lbs?

2. Can it do this, without overly straining the engine, in a very hilly
backroad environment?

3. How the heck can I rig up the M37 to tow a ball hitched trailer?

4. Anything else I should be concerned about that I might have missed?

Thanks!

Steve