[MV] Land Rover Series One

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Fri Dec 24 1999 - 12:35:25 PST

>I would like to find out the history of my late 1953 Series One (86" wheel
>base) Land Rover. I am the third owner. The second owner says that he
>bought it from the Indian Army in early 60s. The vehicle documents do not
>have any mention of the military connections. Is there any sign that I can
>look for in the vehicle that could confirm that it was used by the army.
>There are no signs of any weapon mounting structures/fittings of the past.
>It has the usual two spare tyres-one on the bonnet (hood) and the other
>behind the center seat. I have scraped the paint but did not find olive
>drab or camouflage paint underneath. It has layers of bottle green paint.
>
>Did Rover make any different model for the military use in early 50's
>before introducing the Lightweight for the military?
>Englishmen, please help.
>
>Thanks
>
>Anith
>
>Sudan

Write to the British Heritage Museum first to get a profile on your unit via
the serial number.Dunsfold might be another source and of course the series
one club.I have several military and non-military Land Rovers here in
Canada.One thing is for sure there are some rules that don't apply here as
to what the military got and used and what they didn't.I have found units
that weren't suppose to be for the military being used by the military.The
military is also under contract to use genuine parts only but the corruption
runs so deep that there are many non-genuine parts being used.Obviuosly
someone is getting a kickback or payoff.
Andre