Re: [MV] M49 fuel tanker question--CDL

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 11:44:19 PST

I don't want to muddy the water here, but there is one thing we all need to
bear in mind. No matter how legal or near legal you are you could be held
accountable for things you do. And if you you fudge or push up aginst a law
a little you could wind up in trouble, even though you don't actually
violate it. Here's what I mean:

I don't know a lot about trucks and regs., but I do know about boats. I've
worked as a state wildlife and boating officer for 22 yr. Trained as a
boating accident reconstructionst. Everyone has seen the data plates on
boats that tell what the recommended hoursepower maximum is for that boat. I
know of no law that says you have to stay within these limits, but if you
exceed them and wind up in an acciadent, YOU'VE GOT TROUBLE! Even if you're
not at fault it could still cause you to be liable. At least it could cause
you to have a lot of explaining to do.(Lucy! You have a lot of esplaining to
do! For my Cuban friends in Maimi!) I like to avoid this when ever possible.
So, the way I see it if you had a tanker half full and were legal to do so
and sloshing around caused it to turn over. You could be held libale for
creating a dangerious situation.

I just thought I'd throw that out , in case nobody had considered it before.
This came to mind and I thought it might help. Do as I say, not as I do! One
of my bad habits is I try to overload trucks and trailers. I have to watch
myself all the time. If the truck will get it moving it should get it to
stop, NOT ALWAYS!
Thanks,
Keith